On Aug. 6, Scott Wiener’s Senate Housing Committee passed Assembly Bills 725 and AB 3040, which aim to overrun single-family streets with expensive market-rate development, including your street. Some backers suggested that your yard is unused space for pricey development.
Both AB 725 and AB 3040 target 7.5M homeowners, middle-class or poor, or well-off HOAs. Both bills can STILL be killed, on the Assembly floor, in August. This is our last chance folks.
Call your legislator NOW to oppose. Aides WILL take your call. Find your legislators here.
What is AB 725? A bill that orders cities to “upzone” single-family areas today, to absorb 25% of hypothetical growth. But California growth has stagnated for years, says the Census.
We are OVERBUILDING luxury development, say top think tanks (see incredible chart: “Affordable Housing Languishes while Market Rate Presses Full Steam Ahead”) and so says respected SoCal leader, SCAG’s Executive Director Kome Ajise (YouTube at 1:15:20).
Below is how they voted. Find your legislator’s name. Call NOW. Find your legislators here.
The below legislators BACKED AB 725 and AB 3040 in the Housing Committee on Aug. 6. Call and urge these legislators to rethink it! They voted against your streets and homes.
- Caballero, Durazo, McGuire, Roth, Skinner, Umberg, Wieckowski
Is your legislator listed below? They BACKED AB 725 on the Assembly floor on Jan. 30. They each get a chance to undo that vote, in mid-August. Call NOW and urge a NO vote on the floor!
- Aguiar-Curry, Arambula, Berman, Bloom, Bonta, Burke
- Calderon, Carrillo, Chau, Chiu, Chu, Cooley, Cooper, Daly
- Eggman, Friedman, Cristina Garcia, Eduardo Garcia,
- Gipson, Gloria, Gonzalez, Grayson, Holden, Jones-Sawyer
- Kalra, Kamlager, Kiley, Levine, Limón, Low, McCarty
- Medina, Mullin, Nazarian*, Quirk, Quirk-Silva,
- Ramos, Reyes, Luz Rivas, Robert Rivas, Rodriguez, Blanca Rubio
- Santiago, Mark Stone, Ting, Weber, Wicks, Wood
*Assemblymember Nazarian represents Valley Village.
These legislators OPPOSED AB 725 on Jan. 30. Call NOW. Thank them and urge them to stay the course! Some are under intense pressure.
- Bauer-Kahan, Bigelow, Boerner Horvath, Brough,
- Chen, Choi, Cunningham, Megan Dahle, Diep,
- Flora, Fong, Frazier, Irwin, Lackey,
- Maienschein, Mathis, Melendez, Obernolte,
- Patterson, Petrie-Norris, Voepel, Waldron
The below legislators DIDN’T VOTE on AB 725 — yet. Call NOW and URGE a NO vote in August:
- Cervantes, Gabriel, Gallagher, Gray, Mayes, Muratsuchi, O’Donnell, Rendon, Salas, Smith
Yesterday, Californians were outshouted by big money at Wiener’s Senate Housing Committee. Please DONATE HERE, as this grassroots effort needs your support to fight Nine Bad Bills. In a big victory a day earlier, two of the Bad Bills were withdrawn. Now dead: AB 1279 and AB 3107.
The two worst bills, SB 902 and SB 1120 explained here, will be heard on Aug. 11 at the Assembly Local Government Committee at 9:30 am. Here is the committee agenda showing SB 1120 will be heard first, at 9:30 am! Call to testify on Tuesday. The phone number will NOT be made available by the legislature until Monday or Tuesday. We will alert you when the phone number is made public. (This is Sacramento “transparency.”) Call in Aug. 11 and URGE OPPOSE!
“Livable California is a non-profit statewide group of community leaders, activists and local elected officials. We believe in local answers to the housing affordability crisis. Our robust fight requires trips to Sacramento & a lobbyist going toe-to-toe with power.” The Valley Village Homeowners Association is providing this clickable link on our site so that our readers have an opportunity to donate to LivableCalifornia.org if so inclined.